McDonald’s Employee Arrested after Complaining to Company President about Low Wages
After working for McDonald’s for a decade, Nancy Salgado of Chicago was struggling to care for herself and her two children on $8.25 an hour. So she confronted the fast-food chain’s president during a speaking engagement to inform him of her plight.
Her complaining landed Salgado in jail, and left her wondering what other retaliation awaits her.
“It’s really hard for me to feed my two kids and struggle day to day,” Salgado shouted at McDonald’s USA President Jeff Stratton while he spoke to the Union League Club of Chicago. “Do you think this is fair, that I have to be making $8.25 when I’ve worked for McDonald’s for ten years?”
Stratton responded by saying: “I’ve been there for forty years.”
The 26-year-old single mother continued to engage Stratton, telling him she needed a raise. “But you’re not helping your employees. How is this possible?” Salgado asked.
A short while later, police arrived and arrested Salgado for trespassing. She still has her job, but says her hours have been reduced since the confrontation.
She told The Real News that Stratton needed to know “what all the employees at McDonald’s are going through. We’re struggling day to day to provide our needs in our houses, things for our kids. And it’s just—it gets harder and harder with just the poverty wage they have us living in.”
To Learn More:
McDonald’s Worker Arrested After Telling Company President She Can’t Afford Shoes (by David Edwards, Raw Story)
With a Straight Face, McDonald’s Advises Employees how to Make the most of Their Meager Pay (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
No Overtime Pay for McDonald’s Workers on Christmas Day (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Indiana Gov. Pence Signs Bill Allowing Discrimination against Gays (and also Declares an HIV Emergency)
- Obama and Agriculture Dept. Agree that White Potatoes are Nutritious for Poor People
- Israelis Killed more Palestinians Last Year than in any Year since 1967
- Cold-Blooded Participant in Rwandan Genocide, Caught Lying to Gain U.S. Citizenship, Loses Appeal
- Chair of the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board: Who Is Vanessa Allen Sutherland?