First Organization to Spend a Billion Dollars on Lobbying: U.S. Chamber of Commerce
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has become the first member of the billion-dollar lobbying club.
The Chamber, which represents hundreds of thousands of businesses, has spent just over $1 billion on lobbying since 1998, when the Center for Responsive Politics began tracking lobbying data.
As of the second quarter of 2013, the Chamber has allocated $1,002,845,680 on lobbying over the past 15 years.
No other lobbying force in Washington, DC, has spent a billion dollars to influence decision-making, or come even close to that amount. General Electric, the next highest spender, has spent only $294 million over the same period.
The Chamber has become a powerful force in Washington under the leadership of Tom Donohue, its president and CEO since 1997. During his tenure, the organization went from spending $17 million a year on lobbying to $157 million (its highest yearly total, recorded in 2010).
The Chamber employs both in-house lobbyists (88) and contracts with various firms. In 2012, it paid money to 183 outside lobbyists from 33 different firms.
To Learn More:
Billion Dollar Baby: U.S. Chamber is First to Hit Lobbying Milestone (by David Steinbach, Center for Responsive Politics)
Influence and Lobbying: U.S. Chamber of Commerce (OpenSecrets.org)
Lobbying Report: Chamber of Commerce of the USA (Clerk of the House of Representatives)
U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Failed Attempt to Influence Elections: 8 Wins; 51 Losses (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Is the Roberts Supreme Court in the Pocket of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce? (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
Insurance Industry Gave $86 Million to Chamber of Commerce to Oppose Health Care Bill (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Victories against Voter ID Laws in the Courts Don’t Always Erase Voting Restrictions at the Polls
- Whistleblower Alleges Culture of Intimidation at Pentagon’s Contract Auditing Agency
- Pentagon’s Focus on Artificial Intelligence in Weaponry Portends Robot Arms Race
- Judge Orders ExxonMobil to Release Financial Records in Climate-Change Fraud Investigation
- Utah School System Sued for Abusive Policies toward Gay Students