Air Force Claims its Laser Weapon Finally Hit a Missile
Too little too late. After first promoting the idea in the 1980s of a missile defense that could use lasers to stop a deadly attack on the U.S., the military finally actually shot down a test target using a high-energy beam. The only problem is that theDepartment of Defense
’s top man,Robert Gates
, has pretty much given up on the airborne laser program, saying it was too flawed and not worth the resources that could be spent elsewhere.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Citibank Study Finds Huge Financial Benefits to Acting on Climate Change
- Use of Solitary Confinement gets Overhaul in California Prisons
- Federal Court Forces Ohio Medicaid Agency to Admit that Spouses are Family Members
- Human Drivers Create Headaches for Law-Abiding Driverless Cars
- For the First Time, Marijuana Use Eclipses Tobacco Smoking among Nation’s College Students