Air Force Claims its Laser Weapon Finally Hit a Missile
Too little too late. After first promoting the idea in the 1980s of a missile defense that could use lasers to stop a deadly attack on the U.S., the military finally actually shot down a test target using a high-energy beam. The only problem is that theDepartment of Defense
’s top man,Robert Gates
, has pretty much given up on the airborne laser program, saying it was too flawed and not worth the resources that could be spent elsewhere.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Psychologists Group, Linked to Bush-Era Torture Program, May Prohibit Role in Future Interrogations
- More Millennials Living at Home with Parents, Even as Job Market Improves
- Chimps Don’t Have the Same Legal Rights as People, Judge Rules
- Environmentalists Sue to Block California’s Suspiciously Rosy Fracking Report
- Director of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: Who Is W. Thomas Reeder?