Air Force Claims its Laser Weapon Finally Hit a Missile
Too little too late. After first promoting the idea in the 1980s of a missile defense that could use lasers to stop a deadly attack on the U.S., the military finally actually shot down a test target using a high-energy beam. The only problem is that theDepartment of Defense
’s top man,Robert Gates
, has pretty much given up on the airborne laser program, saying it was too flawed and not worth the resources that could be spent elsewhere.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Becoming World’s Biggest Tobacco Company is Goal of British Firm’s $47-Billion Plan to Enter U.S. E-Cigarette Market
- Protests Erupt Over Naming of Sexy U.S. Comic Book Character as U.N. Ambassador for Female Empowerment
- Terrorism Threat Outweighs Privacy, Argue Foreign Prosecutors in Plea for Global Tech Access
- U.S. Ambassador to Cuba: Who Is Jeffrey DeLaurentis?