Air Force Claims its Laser Weapon Finally Hit a Missile
Too little too late. After first promoting the idea in the 1980s of a missile defense that could use lasers to stop a deadly attack on the U.S., the military finally actually shot down a test target using a high-energy beam. The only problem is that theDepartment of Defense
’s top man,Robert Gates
, has pretty much given up on the airborne laser program, saying it was too flawed and not worth the resources that could be spent elsewhere.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Air Force Adds Civilian Contractors to Drone “Kill Chain”
- Lax Government Oversight behind Use of Deadly Banned Pesticide in U.S. Territories
- U.S. Watchdog Investigations Imperiled by Obama Fixation on Government Secrecy
- Humans Mold Animals at Will: Gene Editing Hits Full Throttle
- National Institutes of Health Orders Halt to Use of Chimpanzees in Biomedical Research