VA Must Disclose Documents on CIA, Army and Nazi Scientists Tests Using Veterans as Guinea Pigs
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
As part of an ongoing lawsuit against the U.S. government, a federal judge has ordered the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to release more documents relating to Cold War-era experimentation on American soldiers.
Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley in Oakland, California, ruled the VA must hand over documents pertaining to the use of at least 7,800 service personnel as “human guinea pigs” by the U.S. Army and the Central Intelligence Agency.
Beginning in the 1950s, the military and CIA utilized former Nazi scientists to test the effects of 400 types of drugs and chemicals, including mescaline, LSD, amphetamines, mustard gas, and nerve agents, on U.S. soldiers, according to a lawsuit brought by
the Vietnam Veterans of America and individual soldiers.
The experiments, some of which took place at Edgewood Arsenal and Fort Detrick, Maryland, left many veterans with long-term health problems that the VA has refused to cover.
The plaintiffs have won previous motions demanding the VA release records relating to the secret experiments. This time, they sought documents revealing the government’s process for identifying and notifying soldiers who were potentially exposed during the chemical and biological tests.
To Learn More:
VA Must Disclose Veteran Drug Test Documents (by Annie Youderian, Courthouse News Service)
Vets Get More Discovery in CIA 'Guinea Pig' Case (by Nick McCann, Courthouse News Service)
Veterans’ Lawsuit against CIA and Army Drug Experimentation Moves Closer to Trial (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.