Third U.S. Citizen Killed by Obama’s Yemen Drone Strikes was a 16-Year-Old Boy
Thursday, October 20, 2011
The United States has now killed three of its citizens in Yemen in the past month as a result of unmanned aerial strikes carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Following the deaths in late September of Anwar al-Awlaki, the U.S.-born cleric, and Samir Khan, an al-Qaeda propagandist from North Carolina, an American drone strike on October 14 killed Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, the 16-year-old son of the cleric. At the time, the U.S. government led the media to believe that Abdulrahman was at least 21 years old.
The al-Awlaki family released to the media a copy of Abdulrahman’s birth certificate, which shows he was born in Denver, Colorado, in 1995, to disprove the Obama administration’s assertion that he was a twenty-something militant. Relatives claim the son was killed while “barbecuing under the moonlight” with other teenagers, including his 17-year-old cousin, who was a Yemeni citizen.
(The spelling of the family name on the birth certificate is Aulaqi, but most American news organizations use the spelling Awlaki.)
Back on November 5, 2002, a CIA drone strike in Yemen killed another American citizen, Buffalo-born Kamal Derwish, because he was traveling in the same vehicle as the intended target, Abu Ali al-Harithi, a Yemeni accused of being part of the October 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
Awlaki Family Releases Teen's Birth Certificate (by Peter Finn, Washington Post)
Awlaki Family Condemns Killing of Cleric’s Son (by Jason Ukman, Washington Post)
Abdulrahman al-Awlaki's Birth Certificate (Washington Post)
Obama Assassinates Two Americans…and Due Process is Transformed into No More than an Historical Concept (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Nation’s Scientists Protest House Science Chairman’s Mission to Discredit NOAA Global Warming Report
- Pfizer Tax Shelter Move and Price Increases Led by Valeant Compound Image of Drug Industry Greed
- Fracking Companies Find More Ways to Disclose Less about Chemicals They Use
- Walmart Recruited FBI and Lockheed Intelligence Unit for Surveillance of Employee Union Activity
- Georgia Secretary of State Accused of Disclosing Personal Details of 6 Million Voters…and Hiding the Mistake