The Cost of the “Good Deal” Jeb Bush Says Americans Got for Ousting Saddam Hussein
Don’t take Jeb Bush with you when you buy a car. You’re likely to come home with a rusted Yugo.
Bush, the former Florida governor running for the Republican nomination for president, said Thursday that his brother George W. Bush’s efforts in “taking out Saddam Hussein turned out to be a pretty good deal.” Clearly Jeb Bush is not much of a negotiator.
The cost of taking out Saddam Hussein, who was found to have no weapons of mass destruction, was staggering, according to Judd Legum of ThinkProgress, who added up the numbers.
--More than 4,424 American lives were lost fighting in Iraq. Those numbers don’t include veterans suffering from PTSD who killed themselves after returning home. Thousands more American service members were seriously wounded.
--319 allies killed. Members of the so-called “coalition of the willing” also died fighting in Iraq.
--More than 115,000 Iraqi civilians were killed.
--More than $1.7 trillion spent by American taxpayers. That number doesn’t include ongoing payments to veterans for healthcare.
--And Iraq became a haven for anti-American terrorists groups which were unable to operate in Iraq while Saddam Hussein was in power.
Hey, this baby has whitewalls!
To Learn More:
Jeb Bush Says The Iraq War Was A ‘Good Deal’ Because Saddam Was Ousted. Here’s What It Cost. (by Judd Legum, ThinkProgress)
Jeb Bush Says His Brother's Security ‘Mission Was Accomplished’ in Iraq (by John McCormick, Bloomberg)
Majority of Americans Think Iraq War Wasn’t Worth It (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Iraq War Winners: Weapons Dealers (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
Iraq War Killed 116,000 Civilians (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Pentagon Orders 10,000 Soldiers to Repay Bonuses a Decade after Serving in Middle East
- Retirement Plans are Worse for Teachers, Charities, Clergy and Non-Profits
- Opposition to Cleveland Indians’ Name and Logo to Get Bigger Spotlight at World Series
- Taking a Selfie is taking a Risk When You Cast Your Ballot … If You Don’t Know State Law
- Texas Included State’s Drunk Drivers and Child Support Evaders in Tally of “High-Threat” Immigrant Border Arrests