State Dept. Aggressively Pushed Genetically-Modified Crops to Help Agribusiness Giants
Sunday, August 28, 2011
The latest release of government files from WikiLeaks shows that the State Department has repeatedly pushed foreign governments to approve genetically-engineered crops and promote the international business interests of corporations like Monsanto and DuPont.
U.S. officials have used “outreach programs” in Africa, Asia and South America, where Western biotech agriculture has not been established. In one cable, American diplomats sought funding from Washington to send U.S. biotech experts and trade industry representatives to target countries for meetings with local politicians and agricultural officials.
Several cables showed American diplomats have promoted biotech agriculture in Tunisia, South Africa and Mozambique, which confirms what Truthout previously reported on “front groups” with U.S. and corporate backing that are trying to introduce genetically-modified crops in developing African countries.
Previously released cables revealed that during the administration of George W. Bush, American diplomats had pressured advisors to the Pope to accept GM crops and that U.S. Ambassador to France Craig Stapleton pushed his staff to create a “retaliation list” of European Union members that opposed the spread of GM foods.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
New WikiLeaks Cables Show US Diplomats Promote Genetically Engineered Crops Worldwide (by Mike Ludwig, Truthout)
Bush Administration Bullied Europeans over Genetically Modified Crops (by David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- African-Americans Targeted for Arrest by Grand Rapids Police Using “No Trespass Letters”
- Kansas Passes Restrictive Welfare Law Seen as Mean-Spirited, Punitive
- Private Prison Industry Spends Millions Lobbying Congress to Maintain Immigrant “Bed Mandate” Quotas
- Two North Carolina Judges Resigned rather than Perform Same-Sex Marriages; Now they’re Suing
- Did You Hear about the Man who Committed Suicide in Front of U.S. Capitol Carrying “Tax the one percent” Sign?