Walkers Feel Safest at Night in Minneapolis, Least Safe in Memphis
Feeling safe walking alone at night varies greatly depending on what city you live in.
Minneapolis-St. Paul, for example, is a great place to walk at night, with 80% of respondents to a new Gallup Wellbeing survey saying they feel safe walking alone at night. That’s the highest mark among the 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas.
Minneapolis was followed closely by Denver, Raleigh, Boston, Salt Lake City, and Austin, according to Gallup, which collected its data before the violence that shook Boston this week.
Residents of Memphis, Tennessee, aren’t nearly as positive about walking their city streets alone after dark. Only 55% said they feel comfortable doing such a thing, giving Memphis the lowest marks from the polling. Some of the other least safe cities for walking at night are New Orleans, Riverside, California, Houston and Jacksonville.
To Learn More:
Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Residents Most Likely to Feel Safe (by Jeffrey Jones, Gallup)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration: Who Is Scott Gottlieb?
- Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims: Who Is Robert N. Davis?
- Chair of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars: Who Is Thomas Nides?
- Bears Under Fire in Florida
- Executive Director of the United States Botanic Garden: Who Is Ari Novy?