Walkers Feel Safest at Night in Minneapolis, Least Safe in Memphis
Feeling safe walking alone at night varies greatly depending on what city you live in.
Minneapolis-St. Paul, for example, is a great place to walk at night, with 80% of respondents to a new Gallup Wellbeing survey saying they feel safe walking alone at night. That’s the highest mark among the 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas.
Minneapolis was followed closely by Denver, Raleigh, Boston, Salt Lake City, and Austin, according to Gallup, which collected its data before the violence that shook Boston this week.
Residents of Memphis, Tennessee, aren’t nearly as positive about walking their city streets alone after dark. Only 55% said they feel comfortable doing such a thing, giving Memphis the lowest marks from the polling. Some of the other least safe cities for walking at night are New Orleans, Riverside, California, Houston and Jacksonville.
To Learn More:
Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Residents Most Likely to Feel Safe (by Jeffrey Jones, Gallup)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Ambassador to Italy: Who Is Lewis Eisenberg?
- Radiation Exposure Compensation Program: Who is Kali Bracey?
- Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission: Who Is Ajit Pai?
- Secretary of Labor: Who Was Andrew Puzder?
- Secretary of the Air Force: Who Is Heather Wilson?