Majority of Americans Born after 1961 More Likely to get News from Facebook than any other Source
If you’re under the age of 50, you probably rely more on Facebook for your political news than any other source, according to new research data.
The Pew Research Center found a majority of Generation Xers and Millennials use Facebook’s news feed more than other outlets to read news stories. This includes everyone from teenagers to early 50-somethings who depend on the social media giant to find out what’s going on in the world.
The dependence on Facebook for news is highest (61%) among Millennials, who were born between 1982 and 2004. Only 37% of them turn to local television for stories.
Among Gen Xers, 51% said they use Facebook more than any other source, while 46% rely on local TV. This group was born between 1961 and 1981.
Older Americans, namely Baby Boomers, are just the opposite from their younger cohorts. Sixty percent of Boomers (born between 1946 and 1960) turn on their televisions for news, while 39% go to their computer or phone to check on Facebook.
There are just two news sources about which Millennials have more of an awareness than the older crowd: Google News and Buzzfeed. A third of Millennials also check the news on Google.
Pew surveyed 3,000 Americans for its study.
To Learn More:
Pew Study: When It Comes To Political News, Facebook Has Become Local TV For Millennials (by Joseph Lichterman, NiemanLab)
News Feed FYI: Taking into Account Time Spent on Stories (by Ansha Yu and Sami Tas, Facebook Newsroom)
31% of Americans Have Abandoned News Outlets Due to Perceived Decline in Quality (by Noel Brinkerhoff and Danny Biederman, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Pentagon Orders 10,000 Soldiers to Repay Bonuses a Decade after Serving in Middle East
- Retirement Plans are Worse for Teachers, Charities, Clergy and Non-Profits
- Opposition to Cleveland Indians’ Name and Logo to Get Bigger Spotlight at World Series
- Taking a Selfie is taking a Risk When You Cast Your Ballot … If You Don’t Know State Law
- Texas Included State’s Drunk Drivers and Child Support Evaders in Tally of “High-Threat” Immigrant Border Arrests