God Endorsed 4 Losing Republican Presidential Candidates
Thursday, April 12, 2012
If four of the losing Republican presidential candidates are telling the truth, then spiritual endorsement is not a sign of primary success.
This week, Mitt Romney said goodbye to his last serious challenger to the GOP nomination. Rick Santorum pulled out of the race, even though his wife, Karen Santorum, said God wanted her husband to take on President Barack Obama.
Karen Santorum was not the only Republican to speak of God’s support in the 2012 Republican primary.
Anita Perry, wife of Governor Rick Perry of Texas, also said God called on her husband to go for it.
Michele Bachmann said she received assurances from God about her campaign-related decisions to seek higher office, and one-time frontrunner Herman Cain claimed God was in his corner too. As Cain put it, “When I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. ‘You’ve got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?’”
To Learn More:
Many Are 'Called' in Republican Race: The Ticker (by Francis Wilkinson, Bloomberg)
Cain: God Convinced Him to Run for President (by Lindsey Boerma, National Journal)
Anita Perry Gets Candid, Claims Christian Victimhood (by Michael Scherer, Time)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Texas Included State’s Drunk Drivers and Child Support Evaders in Tally of “High-Threat” Immigrant Border Arrests
- For-Profit School Continued Predatory Practices for 17 Years after Whistleblower Gave Evidence to U.S. Government
- New Jersey Senate Passes Bill Requiring State to Forgive Student Loan Debt of Deceased Borrowers
- U.S. Sees Increase in Number of Americans with Bank Account Access
- U.S. Ambassador to Brazil: Who Is P. Michael McKinley?