God Endorsed 4 Losing Republican Presidential Candidates
Thursday, April 12, 2012
If four of the losing Republican presidential candidates are telling the truth, then spiritual endorsement is not a sign of primary success.
This week, Mitt Romney said goodbye to his last serious challenger to the GOP nomination. Rick Santorum pulled out of the race, even though his wife, Karen Santorum, said God wanted her husband to take on President Barack Obama.
Karen Santorum was not the only Republican to speak of God’s support in the 2012 Republican primary.
Anita Perry, wife of Governor Rick Perry of Texas, also said God called on her husband to go for it.
Michele Bachmann said she received assurances from God about her campaign-related decisions to seek higher office, and one-time frontrunner Herman Cain claimed God was in his corner too. As Cain put it, “When I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. ‘You’ve got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?’”
To Learn More:
Many Are 'Called' in Republican Race: The Ticker (by Francis Wilkinson, Bloomberg)
Cain: God Convinced Him to Run for President (by Lindsey Boerma, National Journal)
Anita Perry Gets Candid, Claims Christian Victimhood (by Michael Scherer, Time)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Secretary of Treasury: Who Is Steven Mnuchin?
- Secretary of Commerce: Who Is Wilbur Ross?
- Acting Administrator of the Administration for Community Living: Who Is Edwin Walker?
- Acting Director, Office of Legacy Management: Who Is Thomas Pauling?
- Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Who Is Martin Keller?