Florida Gov. Scott Wants to Eliminate Anthropology Majors
Monday, October 17, 2011
While declaring the need to get more students to study science and engineering, Florida Governor Rick Scott said he would like to shift state funding away from some degree programs, such as anthropology.
“If I’m going to take money from a citizen to put into education then I’m going to take that money to create jobs,” Scott said in an interview with the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. “So I want that money to go to degrees where people can get jobs in this state. Is it a vital interest of the state to have more anthropologists? I don’t think so.”
Later, during a radio interview with “The Marc Bernier Show,” he added of anthropology majors: “It’s a great degree if people want to get it. But we don’t need them here.”
The American Anthropological Association did not appreciate Scott’s remarks, and has requested a meeting with the governor.
“It is very unfortunate that you would characterize our discipline in such a short-sighted way...,” the association said in a letter. “Perhaps you are unaware that anthropologists are leaders in our nation’s top science fields, making groundbreaking discoveries in areas as varied as public health, human genetics, legal history, bilingualism, the African American heritage, and infant learning.”
Florida GOP vs. Social Science (by Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed)
Scott: Florida Doesn't Need More Anthropology Majors (by Michael C. Bender, St. Petersburg Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- NSA’s Chief Technical Officer Cleared to Moonlight for Private Firm Founded by Former NSA Director Keith Alexander
- Report Shows Voter ID Laws Cut Participation in 2012 Election in Kansas and Tennessee
- The Key to U.S. Income Statistics: Average Family Income is Growing; Median Family Income is Falling
- Honda Accused of Hiding Death and Injury Claims
- Acting Director of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Who Is David Friedman?