Comic Party Wins Iceland Election; Promises Disneyland at Airport, Transparent Corruption
Running on a platform described as “anarcho-surrealism,” Iceland’s Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) is no longer just a big joke. The six-month-old party led by one of the nation’s best-known comedians, Jón Gnarr, won a stunning victory in the capital city of Reykjavik’s local elections, securing the largest percentage of votes (34.7%) and capturing six of the 15 seats on the city council.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- FDA Accused of Bowing to Drug Industry Pressure in Delaying Generic Drug Risk Warning Labels
- Republican House Panel Backs Bill Reducing Free and Low-Cost Meals for School Children
- Oklahoma Governor’s Top Lawyer Told Prison to Proceed with Wrong Lethal Drug in Planned Execution
- Obama Administration Officials Say Atrocities Prevention Board not Responsible for Preventing Atrocities
- Accusations of Sanctioned Evidence Destruction Heat Up at Guantanamo Hearing