Comic Party Wins Iceland Election; Promises Disneyland at Airport, Transparent Corruption
Running on a platform described as “anarcho-surrealism,” Iceland’s Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) is no longer just a big joke. The six-month-old party led by one of the nation’s best-known comedians, Jón Gnarr, won a stunning victory in the capital city of Reykjavik’s local elections, securing the largest percentage of votes (34.7%) and capturing six of the 15 seats on the city council.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Argentina’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Martín Lousteau?
- Trump’s Call for Russia to Interfere in U.S. Election on His Behalf Alarms Foreign Policy Experts
- Stem Cell Clinics, Spreading Across U.S., Circumvent Laws to Provide Americans with Unproven Disease Treatments
- First Time in 40 Years, U.S. Regulators Propose Clampdown on Debt Collector Abuses
- Traffic Deaths Up 30% in Cities that Turned Off Red-Light Cameras at Traffic Signal Intersections