Comic Party Wins Iceland Election; Promises Disneyland at Airport, Transparent Corruption
Running on a platform described as “anarcho-surrealism,” Iceland’s Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) is no longer just a big joke. The six-month-old party led by one of the nation’s best-known comedians, Jón Gnarr, won a stunning victory in the capital city of Reykjavik’s local elections, securing the largest percentage of votes (34.7%) and capturing six of the 15 seats on the city council.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 3 Republican-Appointed Federal Appeals Judges Overturn Blocking of NSA Mass Telephone Spying
- George W. Bush-Appointed Judge Halts Implementation of Rule Protecting Streams and Wetlands
- Federal Judge Orders Army Corps of Engineers to Pay $3 Billion for Long-Delayed Restoration of Mississippi Channel that Contributed to Katrina Damage
- Cat Food Buyers Sue Nestlé over Possible Use of Slave Labor to Produce Fancy Feast
- Judge Orders CIA to Release Information about Killing of Pablo Escobar…11 Years after Initial Request