Comic Party Wins Iceland Election; Promises Disneyland at Airport, Transparent Corruption
Running on a platform described as “anarcho-surrealism,” Iceland’s Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) is no longer just a big joke. The six-month-old party led by one of the nation’s best-known comedians, Jón Gnarr, won a stunning victory in the capital city of Reykjavik’s local elections, securing the largest percentage of votes (34.7%) and capturing six of the 15 seats on the city council.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 4 Words that could Raise Health Care Costs for 7.5 Million Americans
- As Government Jobs Disappear, It’s Women and African-American Men who are Hit the Hardest
- Federal Program Allows Killing of Half a Million Protected Migratory Birds a Year
- 4 out of 5 New Big City Rental Buildings are Luxury Apartments
- Why are Companies Replacing Raises with Bonuses?