Comic Party Wins Iceland Election; Promises Disneyland at Airport, Transparent Corruption
Running on a platform described as “anarcho-surrealism,” Iceland’s Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) is no longer just a big joke. The six-month-old party led by one of the nation’s best-known comedians, Jón Gnarr, won a stunning victory in the capital city of Reykjavik’s local elections, securing the largest percentage of votes (34.7%) and capturing six of the 15 seats on the city council.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama Disgusts Human Rights Advocates by Calling Ethiopian Government “Democratically Elected”
- Justice Dept. Audit Criticizes DEA for Poor Oversight of Drug Informants
- 27% of People Killed in Police Car Chases are Innocent Bystanders
- Transportation Dept. Investigating Major Airlines for Price Gouging after Amtrak Crash
- Navy Accused of Endangering Health of Nearby Civilians with Excess Noise