All Energy in Nebraska is Produced by Non-Profit Utilities
There is only one state in the nation where socialism reigns in the electricity industry and private ownership of utilities is nowhere to be found. And it’s not California, New York or any other “blue” state.
No, the distinction of having nothing but nonprofit utilities resides in the very red state of Nebraska, where conservatism runs throughout the government. The Cornhusker State has 121 publicly-owned utilities, 10 cooperatives and 30 public power districts that serve the energy needs of 1.8 million residents.
It’s been this way since the 1930s, and Nebraskans have good reason to keep things the way they are because they enjoy one of the lowest rates for electricity in the U.S. The lack of stockholders and demand for profits means revenues “are reinvested in infrastructure to ensure reliable and cheap service for years to come,” according to Community-Wealth.org.
As a bonus, the nonprofit utilities generate more than $30 million that support various social services throughout the state, including public schools.
The Nebraska Public Power District (NPDD)—a public corporation owned by the state of Nebraska that supplies energy to 600,000 people via local publicly-owned utilities and cooperatives—has also invested in wind power. It owns Ainsworth Wind Energy Facility, the nation’s second largest publicly-owned wind farm. It has of 36 turbines generating up to 59.5 megawatts of energy, enough to supply more than 10,000 homes.
To Learn More:
Nebraska’s Community-Owned Electricity System (by Thomas Hanna, Community-wealth.org)
Canadian Energy Company Bullies Nebraska Residents over Pipeline Right-of-Way (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- November Election Put Power to Change U.S. Constitution within Republicans’ Reach
- FBI’s Warrantless Collection of Emails Upheld by Federal Court
- Trump’s Promised Reform of Federal Workforce Triggers Fears that Civil Service Protections Will Be Stripped
- New York State Prison System Infested with Racial Bias
- Trump’s Appointed National Security Adviser Traffics in Clinton Conspiracy Theories