African-American Inmates Sue Private Prison Company for Endangering Them by Housing Them with Hispanic Gangs
Four California inmates sent to Oklahoma as part of the state’s effort to ease prison overcrowding are suing the nation’s largest private prison company for allegedly endangering their lives.
The plaintiffs, all African-Americans, claim Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) put them at risk by housing them and other black inmates in the same wing with Hispanic gang members.
All 2,400 prisoners at the North Fork Correctional Facility in Western Oklahoma are from California, which shipped them there in 2007 after then-Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) signed an executive order designed to alleviate overcrowding in the state’s prison system.
But in October 2011, a riot broke out at North Fork as Hispanic prisoners attacked black inmates. CCA reported at the time that nearly 50 inmates were injured, and 16 required hospitalization at nearby medical centers.
The lawsuit alleges that CCA and its former warden, Fred Figueroa, didn’t train guards properly and left some positions understaffed, which led to the “severe and permanent physical and mental injuries” suffered by the four plaintiffs: Michael Bolton, Jamar Henry, Kevin Hicks and Jabaar Walton.
“Defendants...were aware that by concentrating a large number of Hispanics associated with the Sureños prison gang at North Fork, they were putting plaintiffs, African-American inmates, at a significant risk of harm,” the lawsuit states, according to The Oklahoman.
To Learn More:
Two Years After Oklahoma Riot, Inmates File Suit Against Private Prison Company (by Andrew Knittle, The Oklahoman)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.