Wisconsin Protest Larger than Largest Tea Party Rally, but Not as Big as Immigration Demos
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Madison 2011 (photo: AP)
Madison, Wisconsin, last weekend outdid the Tea Party, but couldn’t top pro-immigration forces.
Decrying Republican attacks on organized labor, a crowd estimated by police to number 85,000 to 100,000 people showed up at Wisconsin’s state capitol on Saturday to protest a new law that revoked almost all collective bargaining rights of many state workers. The demonstration was the state’s largest since the Vietnam War.
It also was larger than any of the Tea Party rallies, including the one held on September 12, 2009, in Washington, DC, that voiced opposition to the policies of President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats. That gathering totaled 60,000 to 70,000.
The Madison protest was far smaller, however, than the 500,000-strong demonstration that Los Angeles hosted on March 25, 2006, to complain about GOP efforts to crack down on illegal immigration with tough new laws and to build a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. A similar rally in Dallas on April 9of that year drew more than 350,000 people and on May 1, 2006, rallies attracted hundreds of thousands of participants in both Los Angeles and Chicago.
Up To 100,000 Protest Wisconsin Law Curbing Unions (by James Kelleher, Reuters)
Tea Party Protesters March on Washington (by Russell Goldman, ABC News)
500,000 Pack Streets to Protest Immigration Bills (by Teresa Watanabe and Hector Becerra, Los Angeles Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- If Ferguson is 67% African-American, Why are the Mayor, the City Council Majority and 50 of 53 Police White?
- 45% of Americans Try to Include Organic Foods in their Diet…and 15% Try to Avoid Them
- Dramatic Rise in Attacks on Aid Workers
- Three-Quarters of Small Wind Turbines Produced in U.S. are Sold to other Countries
- This Obama-Appointed Judge Signed off on the CIA Killing of a U.S. Citizen