The Overlooked Third Victim of the New York Cop Killer
In the wake of a man shooting two New York City police officers to death, the third victim of Ismaaiyl Brinsley’s rampage has been mostly forgotten.
Before Brinsley killed NYPD officers Rafael Ramos and Wen Jian Liu and committed suicide, he shot his former girlfriend, Shaneka Thompson. He reportedly entered Thompson’s Baltimore apartment, shot her in the stomach and then left for New York City.
Thompson cried out for help, according to The Nation. “I can’t die like this. Please, please help me,” she said while knocking on a neighbor’s door. She is expected to survive her attack.
Thompson, an Air Force reservist, works for the Veterans Health Administration as a health insurance specialist.
Media reports and police supporters have focused almost exclusively on the killings of Ramos and Liu by Brinsley, who was African American.
Dani McClain at The Nation wrote: “What’s equally predictable and disappointing is the near-erasure of Shaneka Thompson from the story of Ismaaiyl Brinsley’s shooting spree.”
“She is also the latest in a series of women who have been brutalized by men whose violence only became notable when they took on targets deemed more important, more relevant to a national or international debate already in play,” McClain added.
To Learn More:
Why Is No One Talking About the NYPD Shooter’s Other Target? (by Dani McClain, The Nation)
Who Is Shaneka Thompson, Ismaaiyl Brinsley’s First Victim? (by Evan McMurry, Mediaite)
Shaneka Thompson Isn’t Just ‘a Woman in Baltimore’—Her Life Matters and You Should Know Her Name, Too (by Demetria Lucas D’oyley, The Root)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.