Source for Colin Powell’s Fake UN Claim of Iraq-al-Qaeda Connection Dies in Libyan Prison
Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi, the man who told of a phony connection between former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda while being tortured, has died in a Libyan prison, allegedly of suicide. Al-Libi was the unnamed source that former Secretary of State Colin Powell and other Bush administration officials relied upon prior to the invasion of Iraq in 2003 to demonstrate that Saddam was helping the terrorist organization behind the September 11 attacks. Powell’s February 5, 2003, speech before the United Nations was largely based on al-Libi’s coerced testimony, even though intelligence officials in the U.S. government questioned it at the time.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Nuclear Spending Hits Record Level
- U.S. Greenhouse Gases back on the Rise; U.S. Still Leads in Per Capita Pollution
- Police Departments Investigated for Civil Rights Abuses Still Get Free Military Weapons
- California Pensions to Dump $4 Billion Hedge Fund Investments; Rockefeller Charity Drops Oil
- One Cop in Charge of 461 Sex Offenders