Source for Colin Powell’s Fake UN Claim of Iraq-al-Qaeda Connection Dies in Libyan Prison
Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi, the man who told of a phony connection between former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda while being tortured, has died in a Libyan prison, allegedly of suicide. Al-Libi was the unnamed source that former Secretary of State Colin Powell and other Bush administration officials relied upon prior to the invasion of Iraq in 2003 to demonstrate that Saddam was helping the terrorist organization behind the September 11 attacks. Powell’s February 5, 2003, speech before the United Nations was largely based on al-Libi’s coerced testimony, even though intelligence officials in the U.S. government questioned it at the time.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Supreme Court’s Legalization of Same-Sex Marriage Doesn’t Apply to Indian Reservations
- For the First Time, Two Women Advance to Final Stage of Army Ranger Training
- Chinese Companies Find Cheap Labor in the U.S. South
- Federal Court Rules 2-1 that Florida can Punish Doctors for Talking to Patients about Guns
- 73% of Inmates who Die in Jail Haven’t been Convicted of a Crime