Source for Colin Powell’s Fake UN Claim of Iraq-al-Qaeda Connection Dies in Libyan Prison
Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi, the man who told of a phony connection between former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda while being tortured, has died in a Libyan prison, allegedly of suicide. Al-Libi was the unnamed source that former Secretary of State Colin Powell and other Bush administration officials relied upon prior to the invasion of Iraq in 2003 to demonstrate that Saddam was helping the terrorist organization behind the September 11 attacks. Powell’s February 5, 2003, speech before the United Nations was largely based on al-Libi’s coerced testimony, even though intelligence officials in the U.S. government questioned it at the time.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Only 2 Countries Have Not Joined the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child: South Sudan and…United States
- For the First Time in at Least 10 Years, a Decline in the Number of Americans Reporting Trouble Paying Medical Bills
- 211,000 Unsolved Homicides Still on the Books
- Insurance Industry Adjusts to Earthquake Risk Caused by Fracking
- Behind the $3 Billion a Year Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure…Health or Profits?