Most U.S. Jobless Don’t Receive Unemployment Benefits
Tuesday, November 08, 2011
A majority of jobless Americans are no longer receiving unemployment benefits because they’ve been out of work too long to qualify.
The percentage of unemployed still getting checks from the government is now down to 48%—a significant drop from last year’s mark of 75%.
About 30% of the nation’s 14 million unemployed have been without work for a year or more.
Even fewer Americans will be receiving benefits by January unless Congress approves continued emergency unemployment benefits for up to 99 weeks in the worst-off states. Some economists fear that if the benefits are eliminated, it could slow economic growth even more because recipients of unemployment benefits return their $300 a week or so to the economy from the bottom up. According to the Associated Press, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) “has found that the program is the most effective government policy for increasing growth among 11 options it's analyzed.”
Government jobless assistance kept 3.2 million people from falling into the ranks of the poor last year, while a record number of people (46 million) were on food stamps in August 2011.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
Most of the Unemployed No Longer Receive Unemployment Benefits (by Christopher S. Rugaber, Associated Press)
Unemployment Insurance Saves Jobs, Stimulates Economy (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
Suicides Increase among Long-Term Unemployed…and Border Patrol Agents (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Insurance Companies Avoid Patients with HIV/AIDS by Overcharging for Medications
- Breaking News: Oil Really is the Main Reason One Country Interferes in another Country’s Civil War
- Chinese Firm Moves into Louisiana’s “Cancer Alley”
- Director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency: Who Is Robert Cardillo?
- Justice Dept. Agrees to Release Secret Memo Relating to Patriot Act and Census Info