For First Time, Most Americans Believe Federal Government Threatens Personal Freedoms
Distrust of the U.S. government has reached an all-time high among Americans, a majority of whom now say Washington represents a threat to their personal freedoms.
According to a new poll by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, 53% of respondents said the federal government threatens their own personal rights and freedoms. Those disagreeing numbered 43%.
The percentage of those viewing the government as a threat represents a six-point increase from nearly three years ago, when 47% said they felt that way, and a 23% jump from November 2001, when Americans rallied around their government following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
Conservative Republicans are the largest group who distrust Washington, with 76% expressing fear for their personal freedoms. A majority (54%) described the government as a “major” threat.
Three years ago, 62% of conservative Republicans said the government was a threat to their freedom, while 47% said it was a major threat, according to the Pew survey.
Meanwhile, only 38% of Democrats see the government as a threat to personal rights and freedoms, with 16% viewing it as a major threat.
Among gun owners, 62% see the government as a threat, compared with 45% of those without guns.
To Learn More:
Majority Says the Federal Government Threatens Their Personal Rights (Pew Research Center for the People & the Press)
Report: Majority Says the Federal Government Threatens Their Personal Rights (Pew Research Center for the People & the Press) (pdf)
Public Trust in Government: 1958-2013 (Pew Research Center for the People & the Press)
New Pew Survey Finds Three-Quarters of Americans Don't Trust the Government (by Judy Woodruff, PBS Newshour)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Here’s Why Indiana’s Anti-Gay Law is Different from other States’ Religious Freedom Laws
- Obama-Appointed Judge Supports Obama Administration’s Blocking of Defamation Lawsuit against Anti-Iran Group
- Is Chinese Theft of U.S. Corn Seeds a National Security Issue or just another Example of Sleazy Business?
- Federal Hiring of Veterans Keeps Growing and Vet Unemployment Hits 7-Year Low
- Iowa House Set for First Wiccan Invocation in a State Legislature