Black Americans Given Longer Sentences than White Americans for Same Crimes
A new academic study of 58,000 federal criminal cases has found significant disparities in sentencing for blacks and whites arrested for the same crimes. The research led to the conclusion that African-Americans’ jail time was almost 60% longer than white sentences.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Unlikely to Meet 2025 Goal to Cut Carbon Pollution
- Court Says Ohio Purge of Voter Rolls Is Illegal
- Half a Million U.S. Homes Lack Proper Plumbing
- More Than a Third of Calls to Vets’ Suicide Hotline Roll Over
- Justice Department Announces $20 Million Grant for Body Cameras