25 Hedge Fund Managers Make as Much Money as 1,150,000 Average Americans
Monday, April 04, 2011
John Paulson makes as much money as 254,000 average Americans
Here is one more example that the gap between the super-wealthy in the United States and the rest of Americans is growing wider and wider.
A group of 25 hedge fund executives in 2010 managed to earn a combined $22.1 billion—an amount equivalent to 441,400 American households each making $50,000 a year (roughly the current average). Considering that the median household size is 2.6 persons, that means that these 25 took home as much as the average 1,150,000 Americans combined. That’s bigger than the population of Dallas…or Rhode Island.
Ten years ago, the same 25 Wall Street barons would have taken home a total of $5 billion. Now, a single hedge fund chief, John Paulson, was able to make that much ($4.9 billion) in 2010. Paulson made billions during the worst of the financial downturn because he bet that the mortgage bubble would burst. Most of his profits in 2010 came from investing in gold, buying and selling stock in Citigroup…and collecting an estimated $1 billion in management fees.
-David Wallechinsky, Noel Brinkerhoff
Even Funds That Lagged Paid Richly (by Julie Creswell, New York Times)
Here’s How John Paulson Made $5 Billion Last Year (by Robert Lenzner, Forbes)
Hedge Fund Managers Fight Off Higher Taxes (by David Wallechinsky and Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
The Economy is Great…If You’re a Hedge Fund Manager (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Coordinator of the Bureau of International Information Programs: Who is Macon Phillips?
- Acting Under Secretary of the Veterans Benefits Administration: Who Is Tom Murphy?
- Director of the American Institute in Taiwan: Who is Kin Moy?
- Acting Under Secretary of the National Cemetery Administration: Who Is Ronald Walters?
- Acting Assistant Secretary of the Research and Innovative Technology Administration: Who Is Sophie Shulman?