20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Immigration Court Gives First Approval of Asylum for Domestic Abuse
- Military Weapons Given to Police have Gone Missing
- Pennsylvania Finally Releases List of 243 Cases of Water Contaminated by Oil and Gas Drilling
- Government Printing Office Wins Dubious Title of Federal Agency with Highest Discrimination Complaint Rate
- Assistant Secretary for Public and Indian Housing: Who Is Lourdes Castro Ramírez?