20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Debtors’ Prisons may be Illegal, but they still Exist in Texas and Washington
- Political Candidates’ Ignorance of Science is a Turn-Off to Most U.S. Voters
- Female Vets 6 Times more likely to Commit Suicide than Non-Vets
- Ohio Attorney General Warns Toledo Could become Drug Cartel Center Due to Marijuana-Friendly Law Passed by Voters
- Poor People More Likely to Die in Auto Accidents