20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- D.C. Halts Huge Energy Company Merger because of Threat to Growth of Renewable Energy Sources
- AP and Reporters Committee Sue FBI for Release of Records about Impersonating Journalists
- Human Vultures Descend on Poor Victims of Lead Poisoning
- Personal Housing Expenses See Biggest Jump in 8 Years
- 6 Crewmembers Begin Year-Long Life on Mars Experiment