20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Half of All American Adults are in a Police Facial Recognition Database
- Justice Dept. to Dispatch Fewer Election Observers Due to Supreme Court Gutting of Voting Rights Act
- Claims of Falsified Patient Wait Lists at Colorado V.A. to Be Investigated by Federal Government
- Americans Backing Marijuana Legalization Hits 60% Record High
- St. Louis Medical School Ends Controversial Use of Sedated Cats in Neonatal Training