20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Federal Judge Approves Class Action Case against Ford and IBM for Helping South African Apartheid
- Domestic Violence Rate Plunges
- Two Prisoners in Mississippi County Still Awaiting Trial after 6 and 7 Years
- Director of the Bureau of Land Management: Who Is Neil Kornze?
- Director of the U.S. Geological Survey: Who Is Suzette Kimball?