20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- California Declares E-Cigarettes a Health Threat
- Justice Dept. to Tell Thousands of Immigrants they will have to Wait for Hearings until November 2019
- Groups Sue EPA over Failure to Regulate Stinking Pollution
- Director of the National Center for Environmental Assessment: Who Is Kenneth Olden?
- Insurance Companies Avoid Patients with HIV/AIDS by Overcharging for Medications