20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama Disgusts Human Rights Advocates by Calling Ethiopian Government “Democratically Elected”
- Justice Dept. Audit Criticizes DEA for Poor Oversight of Drug Informants
- 27% of People Killed in Police Car Chases are Innocent Bystanders
- Transportation Dept. Investigating Major Airlines for Price Gouging after Amtrak Crash
- Navy Accused of Endangering Health of Nearby Civilians with Excess Noise