20% of Our Genes are Already Patented by Private Companies
One-fifth of the human genome is currently controlled by companies that have received patents issued by the U.S. government. More than 40,000 gene patents have been awarded to biotechnology businesses, with even more on the way, what with three million gene patent applications having been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Unlikely to Meet 2025 Goal to Cut Carbon Pollution
- Court Says Ohio Purge of Voter Rolls Is Illegal
- Half a Million U.S. Homes Lack Proper Plumbing
- More Than a Third of Calls to Vets’ Suicide Hotline Roll Over
- Justice Department Announces $20 Million Grant for Body Cameras