Why Does NRA Oppose Gun-Friendly Obama?
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Wayne LaPierre (photo: Archie Carpenter, UPI)
Is President Barack Obama really bad for the gun business? One pro-gun group doesn’t think so.
Online ammunition supplier Ammo.net recently posted on its website that Obama is “the greatest gun salesman in America.”
“Ironically, the perceived hostility towards gun owners by President Obama has actually helped the firearms industry tremendously,” according to Ammo.net. “Since the 2008 election, more Americans than ever before are purchasing firearms & ammunition. This has meant massive increases in sales by firearm & ammunition makers, billions more in federal and state tax collections related to guns & ammo, increased membership in the [National Rifle Association (NRA)], and hundreds of thousands of new Americans carrying concealed handguns. Therefore, should the firearms industry support President Obama for a second term or not?”
The authors of the Ammo.net post were being sarcastic, but the pro-gun control Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence gave Obama an F after his first year in office.
When Obama was elected, the National Rifle Association (NRA) claimed that he would take away guns from the American people. That didn’t happen, so now NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre is saying that the president is just waiting to be reelected to do it.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
To Learn More:
Firearms Group Calls Obama ‘Greatest Gun Salesman In America’ (by Stephen Webster, Raw Story)
Gun Rights Expand under Obama (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Anti-Gun Violence Group Gives Obama an “F” (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Psychologists Group, Linked to Bush-Era Torture Program, May Prohibit Role in Future Interrogations
- More Millennials Living at Home with Parents, Even as Job Market Improves
- Chimps Don’t Have the Same Legal Rights as People, Judge Rules
- Environmentalists Sue to Block California’s Suspiciously Rosy Fracking Report
- Director of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: Who Is W. Thomas Reeder?