Wartime Contracting Panel Seals Records for Next 20 Years
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Established by Congress to investigate and expose government waste, the Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan has decided to not reveal its volumes of materials to the public for another two decades.
After three years of work, the commission officially shut down last week, having concluded that the U.S. misspent between $31 billion and $60 billion in contracting for services in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But it won’t allow its records to be opened for public review at the National Archives until 2031, because some of the documents contain “sensitive information,” according to one official.
Steven Aftergood, an expert on government secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists, told The Wall Street Journal that the 20-year term “seems like a long period of time, particularly for a commission whose whole purpose is to improve accountability and expose waste.”
Panel's War-Waste Records Sealed as Work Ends (by Nathan Hodge, Wall Street Journal)
Defense Dept. Gave $431 Billion to Contractors After They were Convicted of Fraud (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Pentagon Wasted $12 Million a Day for 10 Years on War Contracting (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Majority of Pentagon Weapons Contracts Go Over Cost Estimates (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
See all 15 comments
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- European Court Told CIA Paid Romanian Government Millions to Host Secret Prisons
- Bank Fined for Discriminating Against Minority Customers in Tennessee
- Cleveland to Allow Expanded Convention Protests After ACLU Suit
- EU to Allow Sale of Roundup Herbicide an Extra 18 Months
- GOP Congressman Wants Action on Tainted Water—Now That It’s Found in the Capitol