TVA Failed to Investigate Practices That Led to Kingston Spill
Not only did its officials ignore warnings about dam safety, but the Tennessee Valley Authority also tried to bury a study revealing the cause of the massive coal ash spill last December 22 near Knoxville. Things had deteriorated so badly at the TVA that its leader, CEO and President Tom Kilgore, admitted to lawmakers at a congressional hearing that the nation’s largest utility has a “larger cultural problem” it needs to address.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- CEO Pay System at Top U.S. Energy Firms Rewards Execs for Deepening Climate Crisis
- Global Tree Loss Surges—45 Million Acres Gone from the Planet in 2014
- Top Bank Executive Sentenced to 8 Years in Prison for Fraud in TARP Bank Failure Case
- High Levels of Radioactivity Found in Coal Ash at Major U.S. Coal Basins
- Underrepresentation of Minorities in Police Departments is Widespread across U.S.