TVA Failed to Investigate Practices That Led to Kingston Spill
Not only did its officials ignore warnings about dam safety, but the Tennessee Valley Authority also tried to bury a study revealing the cause of the massive coal ash spill last December 22 near Knoxville. Things had deteriorated so badly at the TVA that its leader, CEO and President Tom Kilgore, admitted to lawmakers at a congressional hearing that the nation’s largest utility has a “larger cultural problem” it needs to address.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. is One of Six Nations Named by Oxfam for Fueling Violence in Syria
- Moving Guantánamo Prisoners to Super-Max Prison in Colorado: Obama vs. Congress
- Painkiller Overdoses Kill More in Tennessee than Car Accidents or Guns
- VW Emissions-Cheating Cars Added 32 Million Tons of Extra Carbon Pollutants into Atmosphere
- Education Dept. Pours Money into Charter Grant Program that Doesn’t Work