Oklahoma Judge Sentences Teenager to Go to Church for 10 Years
Oklahoma Judge Mike Norman believes an alternative to incarceration is requiring people to attend church for a mandatory stretch of time.
Norman has handed down church-related sentences several times. But it was his punishment of teenager Tyler Alred that captured national attention, and the opposition of civil libertarians.
Alred, 17, pled guilty to manslaughter after he drove his vehicle into a tree, killing a 16-year-old passenger, John Luke Dum. Alred had been drinking, but was not legally drunk.
Because Alred was prosecuted as a youthful offender, Norman had more discretion in deciding the teen’s punishment.
The judge gave Alred a choice: he could avoid prison as long as he was willing to attend church for ten years, as well as complete high school, train as a welder, and give up alcohol, drugs and tobacco for one year.
Alred says he was happy to take church over prison.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) was not happy with Norman’s sentencing, arguing that it represents a clear violation of the First Amendment prohibition against establishment of religion. The ACLU plans to file a complaint against Norman with the Oklahoma Council on Judicial Complaints, which investigates judicial misconduct.
To Learn More:
Constitution Experts Denounce Oklahoma Judge’s Sentencing of Youth to Church (by Erik Eckholm, New York Times)
Judge Tells Okla. Teen Charged With Manslaughter to Attend Church for 10 Years (by Anugrah Kumar, Christian Post)
Oklahoma Judge Sentences Teen to Church for 10 Years (by Christina Lopez, ABC News)
Oregon Inmate Sues to Not Live in a Mission (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- When George W. Bush Gave a Primetime Immigration Speech, Networks Covered it Live; Obama…Forget It
- Another Fox Nominated to Guard Financial Chicken Coop
- Director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office: Who Is Michelle K. Lee?
- Images from Thousands of Americans’ Webcams are Streaming on Website in Russia
- Director of the National Institute of Justice: Who Is Nancy Rodriguez?