New Arizona Governor’s First Signed Bill Requires all High School Students to Pass Same Test Used for Citizenship
Arizona has become the first of what may be many states this year to require all high school graduates to have passed a civics test—the same one used by immigrants to qualify for citizenship.
Newly-elected Republican Governor Doug Ducey signed legislation Thursday that moved from committee to his desk in one day and was the first bill he signed as governor. It will apply to students graduating in 2017.
The test will be the one administered by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to prospective citizens. Students will have to get 60 out of 100 questions correct to receive a passing grade. They’ll begin taking the test in eighth grade and will have several opportunities to take and pass the exam.
Ducey had said the test was needed because of a survey that showed that 96% of students can’t pass a basic civics exam. However that survey, which was done by the Goldwater Institute, was discredited in 2009.
The governor claims to be concerned with education, but in his proposed budget unveiled Friday he offers only $74 million extra for students despite a court order calling for an additional $331 million to go to Arizona schools.
Sydney Hay of the consulting firm Silver Bullet, which is pushing the bill in other states, said as many as 18 other legislatures may pass similar laws this year.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, Steve Straehley
To Learn More:
Arizona 1st To Pass Law Requiring High-School Civics Test (by Mary Beth Faller, The Republic)
Gov. Ducey Relied On Discredited Civics Survey To Tout Law (by Bob Christie, Associated Press)
Governor Unveils Budget Cuts, Limits School Suit Costs (by Ronald J. Hansen and Mary Jo Pitzl, Arizona Republic)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.