Mother Arrested for Leaving 9-Year-Old Daughter at Park while She Worked at McDonalds
A South Carolina woman has had her child taken from her by authorities and wound up in jail for using a public park as free daycare.
Debra Harrell of North Augusta was arrested after police learned she was regularly leaving her nine-year-old daughter at a nearby park for hours at a time while she worked at McDonald’s.
Harrell, 46, has been charged with unlawful conduct towards a child, who is now with child protective services.
The mother claims it was her daughter’s idea to leave her at Summerfield Park, following a robbery at their home. The child was given a cell phone in case of emergencies and reportedly not harmed while alone in Summerfield. She also would walk a mile and a half to eat lunch at McDonald’s.
To Learn More:
North Augusta Mother Charged With Unlawful Conduct Towards A Child (by Deon Guillory, WJBF)
Mom Jailed For Leaving Her Child In A Park While She Worked At McDonalds (by Bryce Covert, Think Progress)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel: Who Is Steven A. Engel?
- Secretary of the Navy: Who Is Philip Bilden?
- Director of the United States Attorneys: Who is Monty Wilkinson?
- Chief of U.S. Border Patrol: Who Is Ron Vitiello?
- Chairman of the U.S. Parole Commission: Who is J. Patricia Wilson Smoot?