Mother Arrested for Leaving 9-Year-Old Daughter at Park while She Worked at McDonalds
A South Carolina woman has had her child taken from her by authorities and wound up in jail for using a public park as free daycare.
Debra Harrell of North Augusta was arrested after police learned she was regularly leaving her nine-year-old daughter at a nearby park for hours at a time while she worked at McDonald’s.
Harrell, 46, has been charged with unlawful conduct towards a child, who is now with child protective services.
The mother claims it was her daughter’s idea to leave her at Summerfield Park, following a robbery at their home. The child was given a cell phone in case of emergencies and reportedly not harmed while alone in Summerfield. She also would walk a mile and a half to eat lunch at McDonald’s.
To Learn More:
North Augusta Mother Charged With Unlawful Conduct Towards A Child (by Deon Guillory, WJBF)
Mom Jailed For Leaving Her Child In A Park While She Worked At McDonalds (by Bryce Covert, Think Progress)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Texas Included State’s Drunk Drivers and Child Support Evaders in Tally of “High-Threat” Immigrant Border Arrests
- For-Profit School Continued Predatory Practices for 17 Years after Whistleblower Gave Evidence to U.S. Government
- New Jersey Senate Passes Bill Requiring State to Forgive Student Loan Debt of Deceased Borrowers
- U.S. Sees Increase in Number of Americans with Bank Account Access
- U.S. Ambassador to Brazil: Who Is P. Michael McKinley?