Max Baucus, the Senator from Wellpoint
Conducting the nation’s business on Capitol Hill involves more than just the members of Congress. Behind every senator and representative are staffers upon whom lawmakers rely heavily to make decisions on important issues, such health care reform. In the Senate, one of the most important members is Senator Max Baucus (D-MT), chair of the Senate Finance Committee, which passed the reform plan on Tuesday. Helping Baucus craft the plan is Liz Fowler, the committee’s senior lawyer—and former vice president of public policy for WellPoint, the nation’s largest health insurance company.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- At Present Rate of Progress, Equal Pay for Women Predicted in 170 Years
- Change in U.S. Search Warrant Rules Seen as Expanding FBI Power to Hack into Nation’s Computers
- Watchdog Groups Decry Energy Dept. Plan for Massive Above-Ground Nuclear Waste Storage
- Most Americans Believe Their Vote Won’t Count
- Majority of U.S. Students Lag in Science; Girls and Minorities Make Modest Gains