Grand Jury Indicts 35 Atlanta Educators over Test Score Cheating Scandal
In what’s been called one the largest public school cheating scandals in recent memory, authorities in Atlanta indicted nearly three dozen educators for allegedly changing students’ answers on standardized tests.
Among the 35 individuals charged was former Atlanta schools Superintendent Beverly Hall, labeled the leader of the racketeering scheme designed to boost student test scores and increase monetary awards for schools and performance bonuses for officials like Hall.
A grand jury in Fulton County decided there was more than enough evidence to charge the teachers and Hall, whose bond was set at $7.5 million, an unusually high amount for a crime. Hall was charged with racketeering, theft, influencing witnesses, conspiracy and making false statements.
Some of those indicted were part of a group nicknamed “the chosen,” who met secretly during state testing to erase wrong answers provided by students and replace them with correct ones.
According to a 2011 report by state investigators, the cheating went on for a decade. They also accused Hall of either knowing about it or failing to uncover it and doing something to stop it.
To Learn More:
Former APS Superintendent Beverly Hall Indicted (by Rhonda Cook and Mark Niesse, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
Ex-Schools Chief in Atlanta Is Indicted in Testing Scandal (by Michael Winerip, New York Times)
178 Atlanta Teachers and Administrators Accused of Helping Students Cheat on Tests (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Chair of the Intelligence Oversight Board: Who is Neil Wolin?
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?