Georgians Sue for Right to Carry Guns into Police Stations
Georgia allows its residents to carry firearms at schools, churches, airports and in public parks, but that’s not enough for some of its gun-happy citizens. Now they want to be able to bring their weapons into a police station.
The group GeorgiaCarry.org (GCO), which wants to expand the right to bear arms, has sued (pdf) the city of Roswell, a suburb of Atlanta, for the right to carry guns and knives into the police station there.
The suit’s an outgrowth of Georgia’s “guns everywhere” legislation that allows residents to carry firearms pretty much wherever they wish. GeorgiaCarry.org claims that since firearms are allowed in public buildings, they should be able to bring them into police headquarters.
“GCO has members that are citizens and taxpayers in Roswell who do not want public money spent enforcing the Police Department’s policy or practice of prohibiting weapons from the lobby of the Police Department when such weapons are not prohibited by state law,” according to the suit.
The “guns everywhere” law was enacted at the urging of the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights activists even though 70% of Georgia residents were against the legislation. It was also opposed by the state’s police chiefs association, the restaurant association, the Episcopal and Catholic churches, and the Transportation Security Administration.
To Learn More:
Georgia Legislature Passes “Guns Everywhere” Bill (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?