Florida Atlantic U. Names Football Stadium after Private Prison Company
Florida Atlantic University has taken the business of selling stadium-naming rights to a whole new place by cutting a deal with a private prison operator.
When the school’s sports teams take the field, they will do so inside GEO Group Stadium, named after the company that operates prisons for profit.
The university’s leadership, naturally, hailed the sale, which will net Florida Atlantic $6 million. The gift, which will be spread over 12 years, represented the largest ever for the university’s athletic program. FAU President Mary Jane Saunders issued a statement that “This gift is a true representation of The GEO Group’s incredible generosity to FAU and the community it serves.”
The deal came together thanks to a longstanding relationship between the university and the company’s CEO, George Zoley. Zoley is an alumnus of the school, and previously chaired its board of trustees. GEO Group is based in Boca Raton, Florida as is Florida Atlantic.
Opponents of private prisons were not pleased with the news of the stadium sponsorship and have launched a petition drive against the deal.
“It’s startling to see a stadium will be named after them,” Bob Libal, executive director of Grassroots Leadership, a social justice group that opposes private prison systems, told The New York Times. “It’s like calling something Blackwater Stadium. This is a company whose record is marred by human rights abuses, by lawsuits, by unnecessary deaths of people in their custody and a whole series of incidents that really draw into question their ability to successfully manage a prison facility.”
To Learn More:
A Company That Runs Prisons Will Have Its Name on a Stadium (by Greg Bishop, New York Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- When Counting How Many People are Killed by Police, Online Databases do a far better Job than the U.S. Government
- Texas County Clerk becomes Focus of Movement to Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
- U.S. Government is Still Funding Dubious Abstinence-Only Sex Education Program
- Is Dramatic Increase in Number of Jailed Americans a Warped Version of Job Creation?
- Maryland Court Rules that Police Disciplinary Records can be Hidden from the Public