Florida Atlantic U. Names Football Stadium after Private Prison Company
Florida Atlantic University has taken the business of selling stadium-naming rights to a whole new place by cutting a deal with a private prison operator.
When the school’s sports teams take the field, they will do so inside GEO Group Stadium, named after the company that operates prisons for profit.
The university’s leadership, naturally, hailed the sale, which will net Florida Atlantic $6 million. The gift, which will be spread over 12 years, represented the largest ever for the university’s athletic program. FAU President Mary Jane Saunders issued a statement that “This gift is a true representation of The GEO Group’s incredible generosity to FAU and the community it serves.”
The deal came together thanks to a longstanding relationship between the university and the company’s CEO, George Zoley. Zoley is an alumnus of the school, and previously chaired its board of trustees. GEO Group is based in Boca Raton, Florida as is Florida Atlantic.
Opponents of private prisons were not pleased with the news of the stadium sponsorship and have launched a petition drive against the deal.
“It’s startling to see a stadium will be named after them,” Bob Libal, executive director of Grassroots Leadership, a social justice group that opposes private prison systems, told The New York Times. “It’s like calling something Blackwater Stadium. This is a company whose record is marred by human rights abuses, by lawsuits, by unnecessary deaths of people in their custody and a whole series of incidents that really draw into question their ability to successfully manage a prison facility.”
To Learn More:
A Company That Runs Prisons Will Have Its Name on a Stadium (by Greg Bishop, New York Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- University Students from 37 Nations Rank George W. Bush less Popular than Josef Stalin and Genghis Khan, but more Popular than Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden
- Secret U.S. Space Plane Launches for Fourth Time in Five Years
- Women over 50 most Common Victims of Online Romance Scams
- Acting Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration: Who Is Chuck Rosenberg?
- Director of the Minority Business Development Agency: Who Is Alejandra Castillo?