FDA Yanks Voting Rights from Drug Safety Committee Member Who Opposes Bayer Birth Control Pill
Monday, December 12, 2011
For opposing the use of birth control pills made by Bayer, a consumer advocate has lost his voting power on a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory panel.
Sid Wolfe, head the Public Citizen Health Research Group, was a full member of the FDA’s Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee until FDA officials stripped him of his ability to vote just before an upcoming review of Yaz and Yasmin, two of Bayer’s most popular pregnancy-control medications.
The FDA cited “intellectual conflict of interest” for its decision regarding Wolfe, whose group publicly warned women not to use the pills. Concerns have been raised about the linkage between blood clots and birth control pills, like Bayer’s, containing a hormone called drospirenone.
Bayer is being sued by thousands of who became ill or died as a result of taking the pills. Ed Silverman at the pharmaceutical industry blog, Pharmalot, says newly unsealed documents from the litigation reveal that former FDA commissioner David Kessler wrote “a scathing expert opinion” accusing the drugmaker of withholding safety information regarding its pills from regulators.
FDA Pulls Wolfe Off Panel Over ‘Intellectual’ Conflict (by Ed Silverman, Pharmalot)
Former FDA Commish: Bayer Hid Yasmin Data ((by Ed Silverman, Pharmalot)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama Administration Releases Heavily Censored Version of 6-Year-Old Secret Report Casting Doubt on Legality and Effectiveness of Bush’s Warrantless Spying
- Who are the 8 Americans Killed by Drone Strikes?
- What Happened to $1.3 Billion of Taxpayer Money Sent Directly to U.S. Military Officers in Afghanistan? Pentagon won’t Say
- Wildlife Services Killed more than 2.7 Million Animals Last Year
- Sen. Inhofe Goes for Hypocrisy Record, Saying Climate Change is a Hoax, but Nuclear Power is Good because it Avoids “Dangerous Climate Change”