FBI Bribed Deputy to Smuggle Cell Phone into L.A. County Jail
Thursday, September 29, 2011
While investigating the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department for alleged crimes, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) may have broken the law as well, and in the process created a serious rift between the two law enforcement agencies.
What got the FBI into trouble was its decision to bribe a sheriff’s deputy with $1,500 to smuggle a cell phone into the L.A. County Jail, where deputies have been accused of vicious beatings of inmates and other misconduct.
FBI agents didn’t bother to tell the Sheriff’s Department leadership ahead of time about its undercover sting involving the bribe and cell phone, which enraged Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca.
Baca then went on local television and blasted the FBI, saying its cell phone operation created a serious safety breach inside the jail. He also suggested that the FBI had committed a crime by doing so.
The deputy who is accused of accepting the bribe, Gilbert Michel, has resigned from the department. He has not been charged with a crime, but is being investigated by the Sheriff’s Department.
L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca Gives Details of FBI Sting (by Robert Faturechi, Los Angeles Times)
FBI Paid Deputy to Smuggle Cellphone in Jail Sting (by Robert Faturechi, Los Angeles Times)
FBI Probing Reports of Beatings in L.A. County Jails (by Robert Faturechi, Los Angeles Times)
Report Details Wide Abuse in Los Angeles Jail System (by Jennifer Medina, New York Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?