Concealed Weapon Permits Skyrocket by 87% in Colorado
Colorado has experienced a huge surge this year in permits to carry concealed weapons, following the passage of gun control measures by the state legislature. The new laws include requiring universal background checks for gun sales, a 15-round limit on firearm magazines, and banning online-only concealed-carry certification training.
Compared to last year, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation has processed 87% more applications for concealed firearms. From January to June, 31,518 background checks were processed for concealed-carry permits. Only 16,886 were processed during the same period in 2012.
Demand for the permits has been so great in Arapahoe County that Sheriff Grayson Robinson had to hire more staff to handle the paperwork load.
University of Colorado at Boulder sociology professor Hillary Potter told the Denver Post that newly adopted gun-control measures may have motivated people to get permits.
“A lot of people are concerned with what the government did (by passing gun-control laws), and they are feeling restricted,” Potter said. He also told the newspaper that pro-gun groups are “spreading fear” in response to the legislation.
To Learn More:
Colorado Concealed-Carry Permits See Dramatic Increase in 2013 (by Ryan Parker, Denver Post)
Daly City Gun Show Draws 10,000 People as Weapon Sales Soar Nationally (by Ken Broder, AllGov California)
California on Record Pace for Gun Purchases (by Ken Broder, AllGov California)
Texas Lobbyists Use Concealed Gun Permits to Avoid Long Security Lines at State Capitol (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Trump to Take Office with Enormous Power to Shape Future U.S. Policy on Voting
- Online Hate Sites Surge during Month since Election
- Canadian Journalist’s Detention at U.S. Border Raises Press Freedom Alarms
- Hillary May Have Lost Election, But She Beats Trump as Primary Target of GOP Oversight Chairman’s Ongoing Investigations
- Jordan’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Dina Kawar?