Alabama Town Apologizes to 91-Year-Old for World War II-Era Rape
Monday, March 28, 2011
Recy Taylor (photo: Phelan M. Ebenhack, AP)
Officials of the small town of Abbeville, Alabama, have publicly apologized to a 91-year-old African-American woman for not prosecuting the white men who raped her in 1944.
Recy Taylor, then 24, was married, a mother and living in Henry County, was walking home from church with two friends when she was abducted at knife point by seven white men, driven to a secluded area and raped repeatedly.
Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to bring charges against the culprits. Local police were faulted for mishandling the investigation and harassing Taylor, whose home was firebombed two days after the crime.
Her case attracted the attention of NAACP activist Rosa Parks (before she became an icon by refusing to give up her seat on a Montgomery city bus), who spearheaded the creation of the “Alabama Committee for Equal Justice for Mrs. Recy Taylor.”
Taylor, who now lives in Florida, says she believes the men who assaulted her are all dead. She hoped for an apology from the state, but instead got one from Abbeville officials.
Her ailing health prevented her from attending the special event where a local judge, JoAnn Smith, declared the system “failed” Taylor more than 65 years ago. Another official, State Rep. Dexter Grimsley (D-Newville), apologized directly to Taylor’s brother, 74-year-old Robert Corbitt, adding, “We can't stand around and say that it didn't happen.”
Leaders in Ala. Town Sorry for Mishandling 1944 Case of Black Woman Raped by Gang of White Men (by Bob Johnson, Associated Press)
Recy Taylor: A Symbol of Jim Crow's Forgotten Horror (by Cynthia Gordy, The Root)“It Was like All of Us Had Been Raped”: Sexual Violence, Community Mobilization, and the African American Freedom Struggle
(by Danielle L. McGuire, Journal of American History
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Nation’s Scientists Protest House Science Chairman’s Mission to Discredit NOAA Global Warming Report
- Pfizer Tax Shelter Move and Price Increases Led by Valeant Compound Image of Drug Industry Greed
- Fracking Companies Find More Ways to Disclose Less about Chemicals They Use
- Walmart Recruited FBI and Lockheed Intelligence Unit for Surveillance of Employee Union Activity
- Georgia Secretary of State Accused of Disclosing Personal Details of 6 Million Voters…and Hiding the Mistake