Abortion Referral Prohibited for AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps became the center of media attention when the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act passed, tripling AmeriCorps’ size and allotting $5.7 billion in federal funding for the community service programs it provides. Few news sources noticed one controversial stipulation that was added to the bill: the prohibition of several activities, among them, abortion referral.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Nation’s First Academic Chair for Study of Atheism Established at Miami University
- Racist Portrayal of Mexican-Americans Seen in Text of Proposed Texas School Book
- Americans, Age 18-34, More Likely to Live with Parents than Romantic Partners
- Thousands of Inmates Held in Federal Prisons Longer than Sentencing Period
- High Unemployment Rate and Low Pay for U.S. Military Spouses