Mine Safety and Health Administration: Who is Joe Main?
A career union official and mine safety expert, Joseph A. (Joe) Main’s selection as Assistant Secretary for Mine Safety and Health in the Department of Labor represents a dramatic turnaround for the leadership of the Mine Safety and Health Administration, which favored the coal and other mining industries during the Bush administration, even after several high-profile mine disasters killed dozens of workers. Main was confirmed by the Senate on October 21, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- FDA Phase-Out of Livestock Antibiotics is Only Voluntary and Partial
- Koch Brothers Group Boasts Total Control of Iowa and South Dakota Legislatures
- U.S. to Destroy a Half-Billion Dollars’ Worth of Unused Aircraft in Afghanistan
- Dancing Baby Video Case Moves Forward
- NSA and GCHQ Infiltrated Online Games to Hunt Terrorists