Mine Safety and Health Administration: Who is Joe Main?
A career union official and mine safety expert, Joseph A. (Joe) Main’s selection as Assistant Secretary for Mine Safety and Health in the Department of Labor represents a dramatic turnaround for the leadership of the Mine Safety and Health Administration, which favored the coal and other mining industries during the Bush administration, even after several high-profile mine disasters killed dozens of workers. Main was confirmed by the Senate on October 21, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Chemical Safety Board Accuses ATF of Interfering with Probe of Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- U.S. Energy Grid under Attack
- Texas Bill Allows Police to Seize Guns from People in “Mental Crisis”
- 4 States Pass Laws Hiding Names of Suppliers of Death Penalty Drugs
- Federal Government Charges Researchers with Using U.S. Grant to Help Chinese Commercial Spying