Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Who Is Marilyn Tavenner?
President Barack Obama has turned to a former health care executive to serve as the next Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) the federal body responsible for administering the Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The previous director, Donald Berwick, had to resign because of stiff opposition from Senate Republicans, who never allowed his nomination to come to a vote. The new Director, Marilyn Tavenner, is a nurse who worked her way through the health care ranks.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 9 American Insiders Who Opposed Bush Torture Program
- Sen. Coburn Blocks Funding for Veterans Suicide Prevention Web Site
- Social Security Administration Still Collecting Debts from Children of Overpaid Recipients Despite Promising to Stop
- Nominee for U.S. Ambassador to Norway Gives Up; Who Was George Tsunis?
- Lax Oversight of Americans Lobbying for Foreign Governments