Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Who Is Marilyn Tavenner?
President Barack Obama has turned to a former health care executive to serve as the next Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) the federal body responsible for administering the Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The previous director, Donald Berwick, had to resign because of stiff opposition from Senate Republicans, who never allowed his nomination to come to a vote. The new Director, Marilyn Tavenner, is a nurse who worked her way through the health care ranks.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Fear of Violence at Polls on Election Day Causes Cancellation of Classes in Schools across Nation
- Civil Rights Groups Sue FBI and Homeland Security for Records on Black Lives Surveillance
- Federal Judge Denies Former Guantánamo Detainee’s Request for U.S. Statement of His Innocence
- AARP Lawsuit Claims U.S. Wellness Programs Violate Employee Health Privacy
- Oklahoma’s Third Largest Earthquake Likely Caused by Wastewater Disposal