Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Who Is Marilyn Tavenner?
President Barack Obama has turned to a former health care executive to serve as the next Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) the federal body responsible for administering the Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The previous director, Donald Berwick, had to resign because of stiff opposition from Senate Republicans, who never allowed his nomination to come to a vote. The new Director, Marilyn Tavenner, is a nurse who worked her way through the health care ranks.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Syrian Refugees Already Face a 21-Step Vetting Process for Entering the U.S.
- As World Makes Slow Progress in Closing Gender Equality Gap, U.S. Backslides
- Majority of Republicans Mistakenly Think Unemployment Rate has gone up Since Obama became President
- Birth Control Access Expanded in Two States that Authorize Pharmacists to Prescribe Contraceptives
- At Current Rate of Decline, Homelessness in U.S. Won’t be Eradicated for Another 40 Years