Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Who Is Marilyn Tavenner?
President Barack Obama has turned to a former health care executive to serve as the next Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) the federal body responsible for administering the Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The previous director, Donald Berwick, had to resign because of stiff opposition from Senate Republicans, who never allowed his nomination to come to a vote. The new Director, Marilyn Tavenner, is a nurse who worked her way through the health care ranks.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Another Federal Judge Urges an End to America’s “Madness of Mass Incarceration”
- Afghanistan’s Taliban, Not Terrorists, Are Now Main Target of Heavy U.S. Drone Strikes
- Supreme Court Affirms Race as Factor in College Admissions
- GMO Food Labeling Advocates Attack Bipartisan Senate Deal on Industry-Backed Labeling Rules
- Call for Scrutiny of Federal Pain Advisory Panel’s Ties to Big Pharma