Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Who Is Marilyn Tavenner?
President Barack Obama has turned to a former health care executive to serve as the next Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) the federal body responsible for administering the Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The previous director, Donald Berwick, had to resign because of stiff opposition from Senate Republicans, who never allowed his nomination to come to a vote. The new Director, Marilyn Tavenner, is a nurse who worked her way through the health care ranks.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Expensive New Hepatitis C Medicine, Seen as Harbinger of Specialty Drugs to Come, Poses Challenge to Health Care System
- Members of U.S. Military Subjected to Aggressive Collection Tactics of Litigious Loan Operation
- Patient Privacy Laws Misapplied to Protect Health Centers, Not Patients
- Most Migrant Children from Central America Released to U.S. Relatives, Often via Chaotic Air Travel
- For Weddings in Colorado and Washington State, Marijuana is Often the Key to Tying the Knot