Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection: Who Is Todd Keil?
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Todd M. Keil was appointed Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection at the Department of Homeland Security in December 2009. He oversees 18 sectors that are devoted to the safety of U.S. assets deemed critical to the nation’s way of life, from food and manufacturing to public health and the economy.
Keil grew up in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, and attended the Wayland Academy college prep school. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and Criminal Justice from Wisconsin’s Ripon College, and undertook additional studies at the American University in Washington, D.C., and the University of Bonn in Germany.
He served as Regional Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs at the U.S. State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service, responsible for managing threat risks from terrorists and criminals at 56 U.S. western-hemisphere consulates and embassies.
Keil served as liaison to a network of global law enforcement agencies and as security advisor to U.S. ambassadors while carrying out Foreign Service duties in Austria, Indonesia and Ireland. Between 1994 and 2000, he oversaw personal security operations for U.S. Secretaries of State Warren Christopher and Madelaine Albright.
In 2007, Keil joined the private sector, taking a job at Texas Instruments, where he was in charge of global threat analysis and served as the company’s liaison at U.S. embassies. After two years, he moved on to the Welsh-Sullivan Group LLC, a Texas-based security firm specializing in the aviation industry.
In 2008, Keil donated $1,250 to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign and $250 to the Democratic National Committee.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- The Lawsuit that could Eliminate Healthcare Subsidies for 13 Million Americans
- In a Classic Friday Afternoon News Release, Republican-Controlled House Intelligence Committee Admits No Wrongdoing by Pentagon and CIA in Benghazi
- President Ronald Reagan on Illegal Immigrants: Just the Facts
- Is Chinese Takeover of Waldorf Astoria Hotel a Threat to National Security?
- What Does Jeb Bush do for a Living?