Ambassador to Belgium: Who is Howard Gutman?
Yet another in a growing list of ambassadorial appointees who raised large sums of cash for President Barack Obama, Howard W. Gutman has a resume that is not without controversy. A high-octane lawyer and player in Democratic Party politics, Gutman is well-known around Washington, where his long career has included a stint as a registered lobbyist, and his legal work has involved representing former 1960s radicals and South American leaders. He also drew attention to himself during last year’s presidential campaign when he verbally blasted GOP running mate Sarah Palin for her parenting skills.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- National Archives’ Refusal to Ensure Preservation of CIA Torture Report Alarms Rights Groups
- 7 of 10 Most Profitable U.S. Hospitals are Non-Profits
- Police in U.S. Increasingly Oppose States’ Expanded Gun Rights
- New Federal Wind-Energy Rule Would Allow Killing of Thousands of Federally-Protected Eagles
- Congress Pushes Agriculture Dept. To Exempt Ag Industry from Public Scrutiny over Promo Campaigns