Ambassador from Argentina: Who Is Jorge Argüello?
As Argentina grows more vocal in its criticism of British plans to drill for oil in the waters around the disputed Falklands Islands (called by Argentines the Islas Malvinas), the South American nation has sent a new ambassador to the U.S. who is well known for his advocacy of Argentina’s claims to the islands over which Argentina and the U.K. fought a brief war in 1982. Jorge Argüello is a politician and former representative to the United Nations who attended high school in the U.S. and is also well known internationally for his support for measures to reverse global warming.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 3 Republican-Appointed Federal Appeals Judges Overturn Blocking of NSA Mass Telephone Spying
- George W. Bush-Appointed Judge Halts Implementation of Rule Protecting Streams and Wetlands
- Federal Judge Orders Army Corps of Engineers to Pay $3 Billion for Long-Delayed Restoration of Mississippi Channel that Contributed to Katrina Damage
- Cat Food Buyers Sue Nestlé over Possible Use of Slave Labor to Produce Fancy Feast
- Judge Orders CIA to Release Information about Killing of Pablo Escobar…11 Years after Initial Request